Engineering and Design Information
Fire Performance Information
Florida Electric Utilities Research
NAWPC Technical Bulletin
Wood Pole Specification
Update -- by Nelson Bingel
Wood Pole Specification Update - Nelson Bingel, new Chairman of the ANSI O5 Committee and chair of the Fiber Stress SubCommittee, discusses the important changes that were made to the standard in 2002 in this paper presented at the 2002 International Conference on Utility Line Structures. The Power Point presentation of the material is also provided.
Cost of Underground vs. Overhead Systems
- Weather-Related Power Outages and Electric System Resiliency - by Richard J. Campbell, Specialist in Energy Policy, Congressional Research Service - August 28, 2012
- North Carolina Utilities Commission Study - News Release Summary of Study.
- North Carolina Utilities Commission Study - Full Report.
- OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND - A study on the costs and benefits of undergrounding overhead power lines, by Bradley W. Johnson, president of ACN Energy Ventures
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind REVISITED - An update to the Out of Sight, Out of Mind study on the costs and benefits of undergrounding overhead power lines. Update by Kenneth L. Hall, P.E. Hall Energy Consulting, Inc.
- Texas Public Commission Report - Cost-Benefit Analysis of the Deployment of Utility Infrastructures Upgrades and Storm Hardening Programs (3/4/09)
- Kentucky Public Service Commission Report on the September 2008 Wind Storm and the
January 2009 Ice Storm - 11.09
- Laguna Residents Try To Uproot 'Undergrounding' Plans by City - Orange County Register (3/25/09)
First-ever report shows Americans strike underground utilities approximately once per minute, despite risk of serious injuries and costly consequences. For news story go to: http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/call811/31808/
Common Ground Alliance DIRT Analysis and Recommendation, Volume 3 for Calendar Year 2006, Released March 26, 2008.
For full report go to: http://www.damagereporting.org/annual/2006/CGA2006Report.pdf
US Consumer Product Safety Commission News Release - July 6, 2010: Recall to Repair: Whitco Company LP Stadium Light Poles Can Fall Over, Posing Risk of Serious Injury and Death
Steel Pole Corrosion Information
- On-Line Submission: Laboratory and Field Corrosion Investigation of Galvanized Utility Poles by M. Zamanzadeh (MATCO Associates, Inc), C. D. Kempkes, D. Aichinger (Valmont Industries)and D. Riley (MATCO Associates). This paper was also presented at the 2006 American Society of Civil Engineers’ Electrical Transmission Line and Substation Structures: Structural Reliability in a Changing World Conference and ASCE members may find it on pages 235 – 249 on the Conference Proceedings.
The Hardening of Utility Lines
Designing With Wood vs. Alternative Materials